Saturday, August 21, 2010

Superstition and Astronomy.

I'm not superstitious, but I'm a little stitious.

Early in the morning on Friday, the 13th, a black cat walked in front of our van. I'm just glad it wasn't Jason Vorhees.

After that, we watched the Perseid meteor shower. It was beautiful. I've always been interested in astronomy, but my terrible vision and refusal to get glasses or contact lenses makes it difficult to take on as a hobby. My fellow meteor-gazers and I witnessed some strange things. At one point we saw a flash in the sky that lasted a couple of seconds. We believe it was a meteor heading straight in our direction, but obviously burning up in the atmosphere before it got to us. At another point we saw a very bright flash of light below the treeline. I have no idea what that could have been, and I have no idea if it was related to the meteor shower. It couldn't have been a meteor hitting the Earth, right? At another point I saw what I believe was a satellite moving slowly across the sky. It was a very faint light.

I'm not actually superstitious.

No comments:

Post a Comment