Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ben Folds and Nick Hornby

Ben Folds' new album Lonely Avenue is a collaboration between he and novelist Nick Hornby. Hornby wrote the lyrics, e-mailing them to Folds, who made them into songs.

I've read several articles about the album, but I was surprised that none of the articles mentioned a past collaboration of theirs, because it seems pretty obvious to me to mention that. There's a song from William Shatner's album Has Been called "That's Me Trying".



Ben Folds was the producer and arranger of Shatner's album, which was written in a similar way to how most of Lonely Avenue was written. For most of the songs, Shatner wrote prose poetry and Ben Folds made songs out of it, however, for "That's Me Trying", Nick Hornby wrote the lyrics.

Has Been is an amazing album, and I really love Nick Hornby's lyrics in "That's Me Trying". If that song is any indication of how Lonely Avenue is, I think I'm going to need to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment