Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Patience And Productions Of Alan Moulder

Maybe about a year ago now I came across a great little biography about Alan Moulder on triple j. I just listened to it again, and I decided I wanted to post it.


A while back I posted an entry about Steve Albini, and mentioned that I'd love to work with him someday. There's kind of a long list of people I'd like to work with. One of them is Alan Moulder.

Alan Moulder is kind of known for being able to work with musicians that have difficult personalities. He must be really easygoing. Apparently, I like several musicians with difficult personalities, because Moulder has worked on some of my favorite albums.

He produced and engineered The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails. Here's a song from The Fragile called "Just Like You Imagined".


He engineered Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. Here's a song from Loveless called "Sometimes".


And though it's not one of my favorite albums, I think it's worth mentioning he co-produced Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness by The Smashing Pumpkins with his semi-frequent collaborator Flood (another producer I really like). Here's a song from Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness called "Tonight, Tonight".


The first nineteen minutes of the biography or whatever you want to call it is really good because he talks about all three of those albums. Some of the most interesting parts are where Moulder talks about working with Kevin Shields, Billy Corgan, and Trent Reznor, all of whom are known to have rather difficult personalities. There's a lot of great little bits about the making of The Fragile and having to deal with Reznor, and there are little clips of Reznor talking about working with Moulder. I loved hearing about how Reznor had issues when it came to his singing voice, because I do too. It's motivating in a weird way learning that someone you're inspired by has struggled with the same things you struggle with. Anyway, it's a really cool listen if you like any of those albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment