Saturday, December 18, 2010

Bing Crosby & David Bowie



I've been a fan of this video for years, but I totally copied Austin by putting it on my blog.

Shortly after finishing work on his album "Heroes", David Bowie was invited to be a guest on Bing Crosby's Merrie Olde Christmas, because Crosby's children were fans of Bowie. It was Crosby's last television appearance, as he died just a month after it was filmed, coincidentally on the very same day that "Heroes" was released. The special aired several weeks later on Christmas Eve 1977.

There's a rather interesting Washington Post article from a few years ago about how Bowie didn't even want to sing the song until the "Peace On Earth" bit was added.

I apologize. I didn't mean to be a downer with all that death stuff and "Bowie didn't even want to sing the song" stuff. I just wanted to give the video some context.

No comments:

Post a Comment