Friday, September 7, 2012

"Default" by Atoms For Peace

For quite a while now I've had Atoms For Peace over in my Music I'm Looking Forward To In '12 section.

From what I understand, Atoms For Peace is a band that was formed by Radiohead's Thom Yorke to play material from his solo album The Eraser live. The band, named after a song from The Eraser (which is named after a speech given by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1953), is made up of Yorke, frequent Yorke/Radiohead collaborator Nigel Godrich, Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea, percussionist Mauro Refosco, and drummer Joey Waronker. The live shows went well and they decided to take the collaboration to the studio.

The band's website launched yesterday with a video for "Default".



The song is the band's first single, and is available for purchase on iTunes. I like it. I was expecting their music to feel less electronic and more like a band, but maybe this isn't indicative of how the rest of the album will sound. Either way is fine with me as long as it's this good.

The debut album was expected this year, but now Yorke has said that it will be released next year. I guess I'll have to start a Music I'm Looking Forward To In '13 list now.

No comments:

Post a Comment