Monday, September 3, 2012

Neil Armstrong

August 5, 1930 - August 25, 2012



I know that I'm posting this late. I apologize. This is something I've been wanting to put here since the day he died, but I haven't really had the time to put the post together until today.

I felt speechless about the topic on the day it happened, and I feel the same now. So I'm taking a cue from one of my friends and posting an excerpt from the speech William Safire wrote for President Richard Nixon to give if the moon landing had failed, stranding Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin on the moon. Obviously the speech was unused because the mission was a success, but part of the speech feels relevant and appropriate now.

"In ancient days, men looked at stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood. Others will follow and surely find their way home. Man's search will not be denied but these men were the first and they will remain the foremost in our hearts."

No comments:

Post a Comment